Thursday 24 April 2014

Cauliflower rice

I got a mini chopper a while ago but had been apprehensive about using it to chop anything other than onions and garlic cloves. But the lure of grinding my own nuts was such that I decided to take the plunge. Tonight for dinner, I made a beef & kale cauliflower rice bowl. For the cauliflower rice, I blitzed a whole head of raw cauliflower. Of course I had to did this in batches (about 5) as my mini chopper wouldn't be able to handle a lot. Still, I was delighted with the way it turned out. 
Cauliflower rice sautéed

Ingredients

1 head of cauliflower, prepared and roughly chopped into florets
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
sea salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

Method

  1. Prepare the cauliflower by removing the outer leaves and tough core (keep these for stock if making).
  2. Roughly chop the cauliflower into florets.
  3. In a mini chopper or food processor, blitz/pulse the florets till the cauliflower resembles rice grains. Do this in batches if the chopper/processor is small. A head of cauliflower yields around 6 C of packed rice.
  4. Scoop out however much cauliflower is needed for immediate cooking. Keep the rest in the fridge for up to two days. Freeze if not using till much later.
  5. Heat a pan with the coconut oil over medium-high heat.
  6. Sauté 2½ C cauliflower rice until al dente.
  7. Season with sea salt and pepper if desired.

Because I was going to use the cauliflower rice in a dish, I didn't season it. But I imagine it would be great seasoned and eaten on its own or with some beautiful sauce. It would also work fried, like my shrimp and egg fried rice. And best of all, now I know that my little chopper can handle something like cauliflower, I feel more confident in letting it grind some nuts. Chocolate walnut torte, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!