Monday 7 January 2013

Rainbow carrot cake

I bought a pack of rainbow carrots before the holidays and didn't manage to cook them. On New Year's Day, I decided I'd better use them up before they went off, so I turned to an all-time favourite - carrot cake.



Ingredients

4 eggs
200g grass-fed butter
300g demerara sugar
10ml vanilla extract
250g spelt flour
9g baking soda
3g salt
15g ground cinnamon
330g grated rainbow carrots
110g chopped walnuts


Method

  1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Prepare a 9"x13" loaf tin (grease and flour if needed).
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract.
  3. Mix in flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in carrots.
  4. Fold in walnuts.
  5. Pour mixture into tin.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
  7. Then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

Cooling on a rack


I didn't bother with the frosting as I'm not fond of it. But the cake as it is was very tasty, moist, and flavoursome.

Slice of cake


No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!