Friday 8 February 2013

Green Earl Grey chocolate truffle cake

A good friend gave me a jar of fancy chocolate truffle sauce. I didn't really know what to do with it until I spotted the can of Fortnum & Mason Green Earl Grey tea leaves sitting in the press. The same friend also gave me an electric mixer a while ago after finding out that I'd been sticking to loaf cakes because I had to do everything by hand. So I decided to try my hands at making something other than a loaf. This green Earl Grey chocolate truffle cake is what I came up with. As per usual, the recipe is adapted from one using wheat flour, and I swapped regular Earl Grey (black tea) with Earl Grey Green (green tea).


Ingredients

2 tbsp loose Earl Grey Green (or 6 Earl Grey Green tea bags)
1½ C water
125g M&S Fairtrade Rich Chocolate Truffle Sauce
(or unsweetened chocolate), melted & cooled

½ C coconut oil, melted
4 eggs
½ C dark muscovado sugar (or 2 C if using unsweetened chocolate)
⅔ C coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp kosher salt
½ C plain yoghurt
confectioners' sugar (optional)



Method

  1. Heat oven to 175°C. Grease an 8-cup fluted tube pan if required. (I used a silicon round pan so I skipped this step.)
  2. Brew the tea in the water for 3-5 minutes. Strain the leaves (or remove the tea bags) and set the brewed tea aside.
  3. Using a mixer, beat the coconut oil, eggs, and muscovado sugar until fluffy. Blend in the chocolate.
  4. Beat in the sieved flour in batches.
  5. Beat in sieved baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.
  6. Beat in salt, yoghurt, and the brewed tea. Mix well.
  7. Pour into pan.
  8. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes in the pan.
  9. Turn out of pan and cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.



The cake is one of the fluffiest I've ever tasted and certainly the first I've ever made (thanks Mandy!).
Tea time!






No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!