Saturday 16 March 2013

Rib eye steak

A few friends and colleagues have raved about the quality of fresh produce at Aldi and Lidl. While I don't usually shop there, mainly because they don't ever seem to stock most of my regular grocery items, I did pop in Aldi on my way back from the Beacon Hospital last. The Aldi out in Rockbrook is very neatly laid out and well stock. I had a look at their fresh meat section and was pleasantly surprised to find some quality cuts. I picked up a couple of Angus rib eye steaks (which I had never bought or cooked before) and Wicklow lamb rump steaks along with a few other items.


The vacuum-packed rib eyes had been sitting in the fridge for over a week. To kick off St Patrick's weekend, Husband requested them for Friday dinner. Eager to cook them for the first time, I happily obliged.

The steaks were rubbed with coarse sea salt and freshly cracked pepper and left out for about 40 minutes to ensure that they were at room temp before going on the grill.

When grilling, I made sure that the griddle was very hot so the meat would sear nicely. Once the griddle was ready, I put the rib eyes on and cooked for 3 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other as I wanted them rare to medium rare. Then the steaks were removed and placed on a warm plate to rest for 5 minutes, tented with crumpled aluminium foil. The rib eyes were served with grilled courgette and aubergine slices, celeriac and parsley purée, and paprika roasted baby potatoes.

The rib eye was beautiful, very flavourful and tender. Husband was very happy and licked his plate clean.






No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!