Friday 23 May 2014

Cashew sesame coriander turkey goujons

A few years ago on BBC's Dragon's Den there was a successful pitch from Levi Roots (real name Keith, an inside joke for anyone that watched the episode) for his Reggae Reggae sauces. Shortly after that episode aired, we found his Reggae Reggae Jerk/BBQ sauce on the shelf in a couple of shops here. Once we tried it, we were hooked. So when I saw the extra hot version being introduced in the shop, I didn't hesitate to pick up a bottle to try. And because I had fresh turkey breasts, I decided to make some turkey goujons to go with the hot sauce. 
Cashew sesame coriander turkey goujons in romaine lettuce cups, served with hasselback potatoes

Ingredients

for 2
2 turkey breasts, cut into long strips
½ C cashew, raw & unsalted
½ C white sesame seeds
bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp paprika
salt & pepper, to taste (optional)
2 extra large free range eggs, whisked
duck fat & coconut oil, for shallow frying

6 baby potatoes
duck fat

6 romaine lettuce leaves, washed & dried
2 small carrots, shredded


Method for the goujons

  1. In a chopper/blender/food processor, blitz the cashew nuts, sesame seeds, and coriander. Leave the mixture a bit coarse for a crunchy texture. Season with garlic powder and paprika (and salt and pepper if desired). (You can also use a grinder to grind up the nuts and seeds. Then mix in finely chopped coriander and season.) Lay on a big plate and set aside.
  2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Set aside.
  3. Line up the turkey strips, whisked eggs, and cashew mixture. In a large pan, heat some fat (I use a mixture of duck fat and coconut oil).
  4. Dip the turkey strips in the whisked eggs and then coat in the cashew mixture.
  5. Place the coated turkey strips in the pan and shallow fry on both sides for a few minutes until cooked through. If desired (I don’t bother), leave the cooked strips on some kitchen paper to drain off excess oil and then serve.

Method for the hasselback potatoes, see here.



I served the turkey goujons in romaine lettuce cups with shredded carrots as well as hasselback potatoes. The flavour of cashew, sesame, and coriander mixed together is amazing! It kind of reminds me of popiah (潤餅). As for the extra hot Reggae Reggae sauce, the heat from the Scotch bonnet kicked in way too early, before any other flavours, so it didn't really work for me (nor the Husband).

I only started breading meats/seafood a few years ago but have only done it a handful of times. I find it quite difficult to work neatly while doing any kind of breading. I know I'm supposed to use one hand as 'dry' hand, and the other as the 'wet', but I often find myself having to use both hands in the dipping process and thus making a mess. If anyone has any tips, do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!