Tuesday 29 April 2014

Pan seared duck with cranberry sauce

Duck is quite possibly my favourite meat (so much so that I put it on my wedding menu as a main course). I made a beautiful dinner tonight with duck breast fillets from Silver Hill.
Pan seared duck with cranberry orange coconut sauce, served with trio of pepper torta and sautéed  broccolini


The duck breast fillets were trimmed with the skin scored in a diamond-shaped pattern. As usual, I rendered the duck (skin down) first in a bottom heavy pan over medium-low to medium heat. After half an hour, I got myself a small jar of beautiful, clear duck fat. (I passed the fat through a stainless-steel fine mesh and it did the job, but if you have time, line a fine mesh strainer with a piece of cheesecloth for the clearest duck fat.)

I then heated up the pan and seared the breasts for about 3-4 minutes. In the meantime, I heated up two slices of the trio pepper torta from yesterday. When the duck breasts were ready, I transferred them to a warm plate to rest.

Then using the same pan and e the fat still in it, I heated up a little bit of the rendered duck fat and sautéed the broccolini.

I served the pan seared duck with a generous dollop of my cranberry orange coconut sauce, a warm slice of trio pepper torta, and sautéed broccolini. Scrumptious!



No comments:

Post a Comment

A morsel of your thoughts, please!